The mission of the Institute of Physics is to understand the physical phenomena at the macro- and the micro scale through experimental and theoretical research. Studies are realized both on our facilities, and in collaboration with leading European and world laboratories. We focus mainly on materials research, nuclear and subnuclear physics, research of quantum information and complex systems. By the popularization of our results we want to attract and motivate talented young people to take up research activities. In cooperation with universities, we want to contribute to the improvement of the intellectual potential of Slovakia by good doctoral studies, to increase its global competitiveness and its ability to face the technological challenges of modern society.
Main research of IP SAS is focused on:
- preparation of metallic materials using unique technologies
- modeling of systems and processes for nanotechnologies
- design of new 3D and 2D materials
- research of quantum properties and fundamental concepts of theoretical physics
- study of nuclear reactions and the development of a small accelerator technique
Experimental infrastructure provides the background for the implementation of many national and international projects at IP SAS.
Institute of Physics participates as an external educational institution on the implementation of the study programs of the third stage carried out in the cooperation with the Faculty of Mathematics, Physics and Informatics of Comenius University in Bratislava and the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science of the Slovak Technical University in Bratislava.
Accredited study programs are:
- theoretical and mathematical physics
- physics of condensed matter and acustics
- quantum electronics and optics and optical spectrometry
- nuclear and subnuclear physics
- physical engeneering